Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Day Four: VBS and Painting Projects

I woke up this morning to torrential, tropical down pours. I say it in the plural sense, because they never last very long. It's like someone is dumping the ocean onto us through a sieve, in thirty-second intervals. It never drizzles. There were at least four of these over the course of last night.

When I finally got out of bed, most everyone else was already up and getting ready for VBS. Mornings are usually pretty relaxed, with everyone getting breakfast whenever they want. But since today was the start of our VBS program, we all had to be ready to load up in the vans by 8:45.

By the time we reached the church, there were already some kids there waiting for us to start, and it was only 9 o'clock. We set up some songs and tried to get them organized into groups as the rest of the kids trickled in. Eventually, we had it set up so that there were four groups: The Eagles, the Flying Squirrels, the Bats, and the Hummingbirds. The groups weren't very even, though.

During the course of the day, the groups rotated from station to station. The report I heard from the group leaders sounded like we had the usual crew of kids who were really enthusiastic about learning, and the typical group of trouble makers. Kids will be kids, but hopefully we can maintain a little more control tomorrow.

Since working with little kids is so exhausting, we all came back and crashed after lunch. Wendy said she felt like a migraine was coming on, so she took some medicine and laid down during team devos.

For our devotions we read Isaiah 6:1-13, about how Isaiah was called to an unknown task, and yet still volunteered. The task ended up being an impossible one: calling the unwilling Israelites back to the Lord. We talked about how Isaiah's situation contrasted with Moses' that we read the day before; how while Moses made excuses about not doing his job, Isaiah felt unworthy to do his job. They're very interesting stories, I suggest you take the time to look over them and come to your own conclusions.

After team devotions, I took some down time to work on the blog while the rest of the team went up to the house to hang out with the girls and work on painting projects. We painted two of their rooms: one of the girls' rooms, and one of the boys'. We were able to paint two coats in the girls' room, but we weren't quite finished with the boys' room by the time supper was being served. While we were painting their room, Isaiah and Mikie came to visit with us and keep us entertained with their antics. I got Isaiah to sing the Belizean National Anthem for me, but he told me he would only do it if I sang my national anthem, and I had to go first. I got through about two lines before he stopped me and told me it was his turn--that boy has quite the personality. You can't help but love him, though.

Devotions with the girls after dinner were a little more chaotic than usual. I left early, needing some down time to write up the day's activities and generally just needing some space, but I was told later that they were having some issues with authority figures and deciding what game was going to be played. Please pray that we will all learn to work well together and put our differences of opinion aside.

Glitches and issues aside, we had a good day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment